Friday, January 11, 2008

SuperMom

I haven't posted in a few days because Dan went away on business and I was SuperMom all week. Usually I don't mind when he goes away, though I do miss him terribly, but this time was a little more eventful and I was SuperHappy to have him get home.

I haven't really felt well since New Year's... I have had a killer sore throat- you know, the kind that feels like you're swallowing razor blades- and my ears were really aching. I went to the doctor on Wednesday and it turns out I have a sinus infection. So I got some drugs and now I'm on the road to feeling back to myself.

I also went to the eye doctor on Tuesday and brought Jenna with me, thinking I was just going to be in and out and How Bad Could She Be? Oh, I am still such a rookie mom sometimes... I had to get my eyes dilated and it was naptime and Jenna did not understand at all why the lights were turned off in the exam room. Thus the perfect storm emerged of being in a dark room with an unfamiliar doctor with a tired, scared kid and I am blind as a bat. It turns out I have inflamed oil ducts in my eyelid (who knew?) and I had to get medicine for that.

Michaela had her first gymnastics class on Wednesday. It went really well, once I zipped home from the internist, microwaved some hot dogs for dinner (I used to swear I would NEVER give hot dogs to my kids... "It's a lazy mom's dinner!" I used to say quite self-righteously and then I realized they're quick, they're cheap, and they are guaranteed to be eaten with minimal negotiation or questions. I do, however, limit how often we fall back on this crutch of a dinner.), got Michaela dressed in her new black footless tights and snazzy leotard I had bought for her on an earlier outing to Target, bundled up both girls and headed out. The place is quite fancy and there were tons of kids of all ages doing amazing things. She is in a class with about 9 girls and the coach kept her moving the whole time. I was really proud of her because several times she literally fell on her face and she just picked herself back up and tried again until she got the gist of it. No whining, no crying, no giving up. She loved the bars and jumping on the trampoline.

After gymnastics class, as we were walking out, Jenna saw a display of lollipops and decided to throw one of her Top Three Temper Tantrums of All Time unless she got one. She didn't. By the time we got to the car, she was screaming, arching her back so I couldn't buckle her in the seat, and kicking and hitting my face. Ohhh, Jenna. My sweet little sprite. It's just so hard to be two sometimes. We finally got things settled down (she's got an iron will but I'm still stronger than her) and headed to the grocery store to get my prescriptions filled. I will not bore you with the details of this trip but you can imagine what Fun we had.
Besides the extra doctor appointments, new classes, I'm also taking care of all the regular Mom stuff- getting ready in the morning and at night, packing lunches, doing laundry, making meals, and keeping the house in decent order.

Of course my outlook on life while Dan is gone is a bit skewed since I get no sleep at night because I am CONVINCED that someone is going to break into our house and kill us all. While that seems ridiculous during the day, at 2am I can practically hear the invaders breathing outside my front door. (You may think this is a mom/protector thing, but when I was in high school I was so worked up one night that I crawled on my bedroom floor to go pee in the middle of the night because I was certain that snipers were outside my window and would shoot me if they saw shadow and movement. Maybe I watch too many action movies.) I was really panicking about this on Wednesday night until I came up with a semi-decent plan of grabbing the girls, pushing our armoire in front of our bedroom door, shattering our window and tossing the girls out to safety. I wrestled for a good twenty minutes that night over which girl to grab first in my plan... Jenna is lighter and easier to move but Michaela may be able to walk on her own quick enough that she could head to our room while I was grabbing Jenna. It's a tough call. It's ridiculous to think about. On Thursday night I was able to tell myself that we have lived in this house for almost 8 years and there is no reason tonight would be the night that something happens. I did settle down and slept pretty well.

Do you see why I'm happy that Dan is now home? We are safe, getting healthier, sleeping better, and back to normal.
I am OFF DUTY for 12 hours tomorrow, attending a 12 hour scrapbooking crop organized by the fabulous Doullina Designs. From 9am to 9 pm, it'll be paper, pictures, goodies and visiting with my friends. Heaven!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Che-have a fun day tomorrow! You will no doubt create some wonderful pages for us to enjoy. LOVED the children stories-they are so adorable and I am COMPLETELY unbiased! Love, Mommy

The Davies Family said...

Cheryl, don't worry, your brother Bubba would come and wreck some heads if anything ever happened to you or my girls.
I'm still looking for those creeps who stole your Halloween candy that one year. If I ever find them . . .