Thursday, January 17, 2008

From the "I may have a new cousin, but it's still all about me" File

So most of you know by now that Baby Davies has indeed made her arrival...we are beyond happy and excited for this new beginning for their family.
We have had two funny moments in the Libutti house in the last two days as a result of our new niece's arrival... one of which perfectly captures the divine self-centeredness of the normal 6 year old's brain.
I promised Jenna I would buy her Cheetos (it's a long story and involves a terrible tantrum at Walmart- So Fun!- that ended with Jenna taking her shoes off in the car and throwing them at me in the front seat... I have already started praying for her preschool teacher...) the next time we went grocery shopping. Jenna was kind enough to offer to get some Cheetos for Michaela as well, and both girls were pretty excited. At the same time as all of this Cheetos wrangling was going on, I was getting phone calls from MI that Beth was in labor and in the hospital. I was explaining to M all of what was happening: the baby would be coming out today, we'll know more when she gets home from school, we should think of Brian and Beth and the baby and pray that everything goes smoothly, etc.
As I was sending her out the door to get on the bus, I said to her,"It's going to be an exciting day!!" and she turns back to me and completely straightfaced says,
"Why, because of the Cheetos?"
"No," I answer,"because a NEW BABY is being BORN INTO OUR FAMILY today!"
"Oohhhhhh!" she answers and starts laughing.

Jenna meanwhile is just thrilled at all this talk about babies in general. She is obsessed with her babydolls... it is almost all she plays with all day. I told her this morning after I spoke with Brian that Bethie and Brian's baby had come out and this was the conversation we had (I have re-inserted all the S's, C's and K's that she left out) :
Mommy: The baby is out!
Jenna (wide-eyed and with her arms thrown up in the air): Yay! The baby is out!! Wait. But when can we see the baby and hold her?
Mommy: Well, the baby is very far away from here in Michigan.
Jenna: Oh. How do we get to the Michigan?
Mommy: We can fly there or drive in the car, but it is a very long ride.
Jenna: I know! We can go to the Michigan in a super plane with its wings out like this (puts arms perpendicular to her body). Then we can see the baby!!

I loved how she called it "The Michigan", like she has any idea what that means. I also loved how she comes up with semi-imaginative stuff like a super plane. Michaela, though brilliant in many, many ways, does not have an imaginative (she is highly creative, but not imaginative) bone in her body. She's the most completely concrete person I know.

When Jenna finally does get to see the baby and hold her, she'll probably show us all the correct way to hold her. (See previous post!)

All our love goes out to Brian and Beth and their daughter. God has truly blessed you beyond measure!

No comments: