Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Love Your Babies

I read a couple of other people's blogs and enjoy the idea of peeking into other people's lives. Most of them are women in the same boat as I am, raising young children, trying to find creative outlets, and weathering the ups and downs of being a stay-at-home mom.

One of them I want to tell you about today... and it's awesome. AWESOME.

It is not, however, for the faint of heart.



It is written by Sheye Rosemeyer, a mom and professional photographer living in Australia. She was living her life, taking tons of amazing pictures of her children and tragedy struck their family: their three year old daughter, Ava, died. She went inside the family car in the summer and overheated and passed away from the effects of the heat.

The blog entries that follow this horrible accident are heart breaking.

I found Sheye's website through a series of about five links and the last one linked to her. I at first marvelled at her photography and then realized she was writing about one of her children being gone. I stayed up for another hour reading her blog and just cried. Nothing, nothing, nothing I have ever read is like this.

Sheye does a beautiful job of sharing her joy about Ava's life and her longing for Ava. It is a glimpse inside what it is like to lose a child and live with it everyday. It is a celebration of Ava's life and the love she brought to her family. It is filled with gorgeous pictures and memories of Ava.

Most of all, it makes you want to hug your own babies and never let them go.

I admire Sheye for sharing this gaping hole in her heart. I admire her spare, elegant writing. I admire her enormous talent for taking pictures that are both dream-like and terrifically real at the same time. (Who else could make a picture of their two year old going potty for the first time look so good?) I admire her ability to go on living for her other children after facing unspeakable loss and grief.

Reading her blog makes me desperately want to reach inside my computer and hug her and sit with her and hold her hand.


If you are ready for a life-changing moment, go to: http://www.sheyerosemeyer.blogspot.com/


If this is not for you, just say a prayer for Sheye and her family and go hug and love your children.

Hug and love and kiss them in honor of Ava.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Che-I cannot read this blog as I prepare to drive for 6 hours today-I will cry and not be able to see the road and I am not kidding. I will read it when I am able. Meanwhile I will revel in YOU as a wonderful mom to your two perfect daughters and thank God for you every day. Love, Mommy

Anonymous said...

Dear Cheryl,
What a wonderful, heartbreaking story. It is a lesson in so many ways. Just hearing a story like this affects you for the rest of your life. I sobbed like a baby, being 5 months preggers didn't help the emotional outburst I am sure.
By the way, I also remember Peter from Ms. Toronto's class, he used to buy up loads of thse 10 cent pencils that the school sold and throw them on the floor for fun. I remember he was a wiz a math too. I wonder what he is doing now, he probably rebounded from the bag humiliation and is wildly rich and in counseling because he loaths his mother.
After I first read your blog a while ago, (Thank you Mrs Davies for telling me about it) I was recounting some of my memories to Eric. I remember playing school with you in the downstairs front room that had that huge desk. Remember that there was a geod or something that just fit a glass of iced tea in it like an improvised coaster?
Thanks for the fun blogs!
Megan
mpresbrey@hotmail.com