Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Holiday Catch-up


Just like Brian and Beth, I am starting my blog post with a picture of our backyard... heavy with snow from a storm on Sunday night and today. All the local meteorologists went crazy with the "One- Two Punch" description of the back-to-back storms. "A Winter Wallop" was another alliteration they loved to use. I spent the last two days saying those phrases over and over to Dan in my best newscaster voice, and God bless him, he laughed almost every time.

Happy 2008!! I spent the day pathetically hung over from last night's dinner out with two other couples... we had such a great time and I had three glasses of wine (Whoo-hooo! Big Drinker!) and that turned out to be two glasses too many. I was sick all night and completely exhausted. This happened a few months ago when we went out to dinner and I had a few glasses of wine... I tried to pass it off that I had a bug or something, but the bottom line is that I shouldn't drink more than one of anything.

We had a cozy day at home. We made our first belgian waffles with Dan's new waffle maker that he got from me for Christmas, reminiscent of the waffle maker we used on our summer vacation in Plymouth. They were so yummy! Michaela worked on a kid's scrapbook that she got for Christmas and she and Dan made a snowman outside. Jenna took full advantage of my weakened state and tried to nurse every few hours. We took a monster nap together this afternoon. Dan whipped up a kid-friendly dinner of chicken tenders and tater tots, which the girls call blubber-nuggets. There was lots of burping, tooting and talk of farts at the dinner table. Jenna was a bit gassy and was able to fart on cue and she was so proud to contribute to the hilarity. Michaela does a very good imitation of a fake burp and that kept us amused as well. Dinner with a two- and six-year old: completely lacking any sense of sophistication.

We had a really nice Christmas week and I will be posting pics and stories in the next few days. We had a great holiday but I am ready for the return of mundane life, with schedules and structure and school. I decided on Dec. 26th that I'm going to sleep all through January.

No comments: