Thursday, January 24, 2008

I can't handle all this excitement...

Remember how I wrote back on January 14th, "It's good to be in the month of January", somehow implying that the hustle bustle craziness of the holidays was behind us?
That was before we added two Lip Sync practices and gymnastics class every week to our schedule, I added a new monthly meeting for church into my schedule, a new baby was born into our family and Jenna falling and almost breaking her arm last night.
Whew.
Yes, our excitement for yesterday was whisking Jen to the ER (a first for us as parents) after she fell quite awkwardly right in front of me while Michaela was finishing up her gymnastics class. Jenna landed on her own arm onto a concrete floor and immediately started crying. When I tried to calm her down, she started saying to me, "I can't raise my arm!" and started really guarding it with her uninjured arm. We came home and Dan and I immediately brought her to the ER, where she was seen by a PA and got xrays taken which thankfully were negative for a fracture. She was such a trooper- she was stoic through most of it but did ask me, "Can we go home now?" about twenty times. She got a splint for her arm- it appears it is the forearm that bothers her most- and it was wrapped in an Ace bandage. We got home at around 11:30pm and Jenna laid on the couch for a few minutes and then went to sleep in her crib. She slept well last night and played with me a while this morning before settling in for an early nap. We have a followup appointment this afternoon with an orthopedist and are bringing the xrays for him to look at as well.
While I am glad it appears to not be broken, I frankly am shocked that it's not. The way she's holding it and the positions that seem to hurt her the most to me scream that she has a broken bone. But as the whole world loves to say, sometimes a sprain is worse than a break. I am very happy to have the followup today and am so, so, so very thankful that what ever the injury is, it is minor and very fixable.
Please keep Jenna in your prayers for a speedy recovery!

No comments: