Monday, January 7, 2008

Holiday Stories, Part 2

This isn't so much a story, but rather an ode to the holiday programming on one of my favorite channels, QVC. Do you watch QVC? Do you order anything from it? Do you wonder, like I do, who the 2,278 people are in America watching QVC at 4am and ordering scented candles?

I love to watch QVC but have never ordered anything from it. I am fascinated by how they market the items to the masses. After several hundred hours of viewing, I have determined several things:
1. Scarcity is king: "We only have 400 of these left!" Does America not hate scarcity? We will do anything, it seems, to not be left out of a great deal. I was watching a show on QVC all about holiday decorating- trees, wreaths, garland, etc.- and the hostess admonished us right off the bat: "If you want the 10' tree, you need order it NOW! We will be SOLD OUT! You will have to wait until NEXT YEAR to get another one!" And later in the show, when they indeed had sold out, she stated matter of factly, "I TOLD you to order early! Now you'll have to wait until 2008!"

2. Bed linens must be massaged: Whenever they are selling bed linens, pillows, comforters, etc., there are ALWAYS two hostesses- one to talk about the item's thread count, washing instructions, available colors, and available sizes while the other woman's job is solely to massage the sheets and pillows. Back and forth, back and forth her hand goes over the cotton. That's the whole segment.

3. The power of suggestion: These sales people are brilliant at suggesting ways to use the item, why you should buy it, why YOU DESERVE the item, and why buying two is definitely necessary. "One as a gift and one for yourself!" My favorite line that they use over and over again during the holidays is, "Ladies, how many gifts have you bought for everyone else? Isn't it time you buy SOMETHING for yourself?!?" Another example of this is one of my most-quoted QVC stories. I was watching a segment on comforter sets (massage, massage) and thinking, you know, that's not a bad looking set. You get alot of stuff with it. And the hostess started saying, "Ladies, don't you want new, fresh linens on your beds? Don't you want to feel that sense of pride when you walk into your room and see this beautiful set? What about when you're giving tours of your home during your holiday parties? Wouldn't this been a show stopper?" And I'm thinking, "Should I be giving tours of my house during MY holiday parties? I mean, we just put peoples' coats on our beds and hope they can find a place to sit and eat! Are people hoping for a tour? I don't have a new comforter set! I have an old flannel set with snowmen on it that I bought online when I was pregnant with Jenna and blamed on my raging hormones! I need a show stopper!" But I eventually calmed down and resisted picking up the phone.

4. They've all got sisters in law named Betty in Florida: QVC loves taking testimonials from people on the air while they're hawking an item. Either you've bought the item before or this is your first time and they want you to say how excited you are, what color you bought, how much you love QVC, and so on. I personally get a little nervous when they take calls because I'm always afraid they're going to get pranked in some way. The format of the phone call goes something like this:
Host: We've got Shirley on the line from Oklahoma. Hi Shirley... what did you choose today?
Caller: I chose the eyeshadow kit.
Host: Yes, that is a wonderful product.
Caller: I love you so much and watch you all the time. You're so pretty!
Host: Why thank you Shirley... I'm glad you enjoy watching what QVC has to offer.
Caller: I love buying things from QVC and my husband is always wishin' I wouldn't watch so much but I can't help it!
Host: Well, thank you for shopping with us. (Her tone of voice at this point sort of indicates she's ready to wind down this conversation and move on.)
Caller: Yes, I just love all you gals. Can I say hi to someone?
Host: Sure, Shirley.
Caller: I want to say hi to my sister in law Betty in Florida. Hi, Betty!!!!
Host: Hi Betty! I hope she's watching.(Some of the hosts actually wave while looking at the camera. This blows my mind. What are the chances Betty is watching QVC? She's probably not even watching tv and here on national tv we're all stopping to wave at her.) Thanks again for calling us.
Caller: Thank you!!! Keep up the good work! I love you!
Host: OK, thank you. Moving on...

5. The Countdown Clock: They started in the end of November displaying the Countdown to Christmas Clock, which made me feel panicky every time I saw it. They loved starting a show with ,"Only 14 days, 11 hours and 35 minutes until the Big Day..." and no matter where I was in terms of getting things accomplished, I always thought, "Yikes! Only 14 days to go!! What am I doing sitting here watching a show about Gourmet Delights?? Time to get crack-a lackin'!" I think this is connected to the Scarcity is King idea.

6. Easy Pay and a dollar a day: They sometimes break down the cost of an item into two or three payments, called Easy Pay. This is clearly a desirable feature because they hawk the Easy Pay like crazy. "This lovely set will ONLY be on Easy Pay TODAY so call now!" They further crack me up by focusing on the cost per day of the item. Say an item costs $55 dollars. They break that down into two Easy Pay payments of $27.50. The hosts love to say, "You'll be enjoying this item for LESS THAN A DOLLAR A DAY!!" I don't pay my bills every day. I don't get paid every day (actually, I don't get paid at all...) We get money twice a month and I pay my credit card bill once a month. Who cares how much PER DAY I am paying? I'm not sending them 78 cents in the mail every day and thinking, "Wow! That's barely anything!" I know that they are trying to make it sound like it costs less than it is. Though I clearly am an easy target for most of their gimmicks (see 1-5 above) this one isn't as effective.

I do love QVC and my favorite hostess Lisa. She's real pretty and fun and just nice. I love their jewelry shows, the bedding shows and the bare minerals shows. Maybe in 2008 I will actually buy something.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ABSOLUTELY crack me up!!!!! I sat here and was laughing and laughing! Such TALENT as a writer! I am SO glad you are my daughter! Some day we should put on your blog your parody of my Christmas letter! Love you! Mommy

Anonymous said...

Wiping the Mt. Dew off of my screen after that one! Funny, funny girl :) Having recently watched QVC at your house, I'm cracking up even more at your detailed account of the marketing tactics employed by their vendors. I wonder how much it would cost to book a spot on their airwaves for some Doullina Designs....can you picture it, you would the stroker/massager (whichever term you prefer!) of the paper goodies and we would request that you have random outburts telling everyone how much you love the paper,buttons and ribbons! I think we'd all be QVC bazillionaires. Look into for me, k? :)

The Davies Family said...

Don't mean to call you out, but that last paragraph kind of sounds like the "caller"! Who knows, perhaps 2008 is the year QVC gets a call from "Cheryl in Albany". If so, can "my brother Bubba in D-Town" get the shout out? I think that would really seal the deal!
Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Em said...

This left me rolling in giggles, since when I do watch QVC it is purely for entertainment. You nailed it.
Thanks for reading me!

Anonymous said...

Dear Cheryl,
Your mom emailed me your blog and I have to say, it reads great. If only we knew that all those years spent in creative writing classes would be such a payoff! Your daughters sound adorable. Thanks for the great Christmas card, it was great to hear from you. Congrats on the new neice...can you believe that little Brian is a Dad???!!! I remember when he was born. Sheesh, I feel old.
Thanks!
Megan

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://kibysopi.1accesshost.com/nahipy.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://dedoribew.freewebsitehosting.com/ohujysa.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I earn money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I begin to get real income.
It gets down to choose a proper partner who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]