Monday, April 28, 2008

Goin' Down to the Y-M-C-A

Our family joined the Y about a year ago and we LOVE it. We've tried to take advantage of all the things they have available: the gym, the fitness center, the elevated track, the childcare (THAT was a one-time event) and the swimming pool. Michaela has taken a few sessions of swim lessons there to gear up for summer and we've loved her instructors. Michaela, Jenna and I have gone swimming there a bunch of times this winter and we always have a blast.

So Mommy has a bright idea to sign Jenna up as well for a session of lessons this spring: she loves water, and I'm always lookin' for ways to pass the time. We signed up for a Mommy and Me -type class which unfortunately means I have to go in, with a swimsuit on, showing off my ample tooshie to the whole pool area. But I'm a Big Girl (both literally and figuratively, haha) so I signed us up and talked it up big to Jenna. She was thrilled.

Today was our first class and it was extremely sweet and comfortable and Jenna had a great time. There were two very earnest instructors there who could not have been nicer and more gentle and we sang songs and incorporated some swimming basic skills into playing.

I am all about little kids and programs and love and gushiness, but I have to confess... I felt a little gay singing the hokey pokey with a bunch of strangers while wearing my bathing suit and putting Jenna's "left foot in" and shaking it all about. Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age. The moms were all very sweet and a little nervous and all the babies-all girls- wore little suits with pink and flowers and bows. One of the participants was taking the class with her grandfather and I thought to myself: that's LOVE for your grandchild.

The other unfortunate event that occured during the lesson was that I spotted two men over 65 years old who go to my church. And one of them was wearing a Speedo. Yeah... it was awkward. My brain kept chanting over and over: Too Much Information! Too Much Information! TMI! TMI! but I somewhat held it together and offered a little wave to them. See? I am a Big Girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH for both Jenna, the YMCA, AND Jenna's mom for being so mature under difficult circumstances!!!! What pips you all are! I can just see Nenna in her cute suit singing and splashing! Love, Mommy/Gammie