Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Missing the bus... and the point

Michaela sometimes is a bit pokey and drives us crazy with her last-minute rushing. Getting her ready on time for school is a bit of a process: we start about 90 minutes before her bus picks her up with getting ready, eating lunch, gathering items to bring in to school, etc. and all the while I am giving her reminders and time warnings of how long she has until the bus comes. She was up to her usual tricks yesterday, getting "just one more thing" to put in to her backpack for school, and ended up missing her bus. I was furious because neither Jenna nor I were dressed so we had to throw on clothes, get into the car, drive to school, get everyone out of the car, walk Michaela into school and sign her in. I really laid into her about getting ready on time and how this will not happen again. She apologized quite earnestly multiple times and I just kept saying, "Well, let's just not have it happen again." Apparently this wasn't the response she was looking for because a little while later, as we were pulling up to the school, she said to me in a condescending voice, "Aren't you going to apologize to ME for yelling?" So I smiled and said,"No, I'm not because it's my job as a mom to keep you in line." And that seemed to satisfy her.

No comments: