Monday, September 29, 2008

Irrational fears,constant reassurance and other fun weekend games.

Michaela has been all over me like white on rice this past weekend because she's afraid her epiglottis, that little thingy that dangles in the back of her mouth, is going to fall off. On its own. For no reason.
So from mid-Saturday afternoon until this morning, she has approached me every half hour to an hour (except for sleeping time, thank goodness) with an open mouth so I can check to see if it's still there. In between these checks, she asks me the following questions:
"What if it falls off?"
"Will it hurt?"
"How will I know it has fallen off?"
"Will I swallow it?"
"Will it bleed?"
"Will I die?"

And so forth. It all falls into the same line of questioning she's had for the last five days or so: "Will pencils poison me?" "What if I wake up tomorrow morning and my skin is orange?" and my personal favorite, "What if my heart stops beating? Will I know it has stopped?"

So we're handling all this anxiety the best we can with lots of reassurance, and some 2nd-grade level anatomy and physiology and I think that once she's off this fixation, she'll be fine.
I hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's actually her uvula, not her epiglottis. ;)
Beth's nerdy friend,
Kristen

Anonymous said...

Poor Michaela.....who says childhood is carefree and blissful?! Love, LW