Monday, May 14, 2007

"Years from now, we'll look back on this and laugh..."

It is hard to put into words all the things that have happened at the Libutti house since Thursday of last week... here is a quick recap:

On Thursday, it finally got pretty warm here and at about 2pm I decided to put on the A/C so the house would be cool and comfortable when Dan got home. It didn't turn on- no clicks, no fan, no nothing. Our upstairs got to be a toasty 83 degrees in the evening. Not fun.

On Friday, a thunderstorm jolted Dan and I awake at about 4:30am. Then our power went off. It came back on about an hour later, but when Dan went to take a shower for work, we had no hot water. Turns out the pilot light had gone out on the hot water heater so we had a learning adventure re-lighting it (the two of us were sitting on the floor in our laundry room, arguing about our interpretations of the directions.). Jenna woke up, nursed, fell back asleep, woke up and promptly puked all over me. And that's when our fun weekend really began.

(Let me interject here some thoughts about puking children. Ironically, Michaela puked on me for the first time on my first Mother's Day. We were having a warm, loving moment that morning, basking in the joy of finally being a mom, and Michaela, who was laying between us in our bed, turned to me and puked. I joked that I spent Mother's Day really mothering a sick kid. I have a new theory that you are not really getting the full experience of being a mom until all of your children have puked on you. The interesting thing is that you are so grossed out but yet you feel so bad for them... nothing is so pathetic than a listless, worn out, puking child who just wants you to hold them.)

So on Friday morning, we pulled it together enough to go get my bridesmaid dress fitted for the wedding. At this point, I was thinking this was just an isolated incident as Jenna was up, dressed, and playing as usual. In the afternoon I brought Jenna to the doctor's for her two year checkup which went very well. She moved up the chart in weight from 3rd percentile to 10th! Victory! She is about 65-75th percentile for height and is doing fine overall. We were going to have a small celebration with some cake and candles that night to celebrate her birthday that day, but she ended up throwing up again at about 4:30pm so any partying was out of the question.

Michaela went to my parents' house for a sleepover and we were down to one kid. I had thought it would be a good opportunity to get a grown up movie through the digital cable, eat some cake (might as well... ) and have a quiet, pleasant night with Dan while still taking care of Jenna. We had negotiated down from The Devil Wears Prada vs. The Holiday and decided on watching The Good Shepard (enough intrigue and good reviews for me, enough guy-stuff for him) when Dan started cleaning out the fridge. Not like, "Let's throw out this lunch meat- there's only one piece left" but the clean where you empty it all out, take out the shelves, wash them in hot water and put them back in and then rearrange the whole placement of the remaining food. I said to Dan, "If you had told me eleven and a half years ago that we would be cleaning out a fridge together at 8:30 on a Friday night, I don't think I would have believed you." We Libuttis know how to live it up!!!!

Saturday brought a bit of respite for me as I went to an event called Crafting for a Cure and I was able to scrapbook for about five hours in the afternoon. Friends of mine organized the event and all the proceeds went to the March of Dimes. We got goody bags, free meals and snacks, and great raffle items. It was awesome. Checkout the website: www.craftingforacure.wordpress.com .

Jenna woke up inconsolable at 1am on Sunday morning so I got up with her and held her as she nursed, puked, nursed, slept, nursed, puked, etc. until we fell asleep at about 5am. Dan took over at 5:30 so I could rest and then Michaela came into our room at 8am and was so demanding and annoying that I kicked her out of the room. Jenna was miserable all day, just laying on me and not keeping anything down. We skipped church, where we were supposed to be greeters and we had dedicated the flowers for Jenna's birthday. I got beautiful cards and homemade pictures from Michaela and Dan and a gift certificate for a facial at my favorite spa. I tried to stay upbeat and count my many, many blessings as a mom as I changed my clothes several times due to being puked on.

The day ended with Jenna pooping as I was changing her and me watching the poop SHOOT out of her, over the edge of the changing table, and land about four feet away on the floor. It was an incredible sight and the only time I yelled in surprise the whole weekend. You just haven't lived until you've witnessed projectile pooping.

Well, I guess this wasn't a quick recap, but the weekend did feel like it was never ending. The good news is that Jenna is much better today, more active, keeping liquids down, and actually ate at dinner. Hooray!

I said to Dan yesterday, "Years from now, we will look back on this weekend and laugh... but it's not really very funny today."

No comments: