Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's better than I realize and really not so bad.

So I'm watching Bringing Home Baby, a show on TLC that follows new parents in the first 36 hours after bringing a baby home from the hospital. It makes me sick to my stomach each time I watch it (it brings me instantly back to when Michaela came home and I looked at her and thought, well, now what? and she kindly answered by screaming any time I put her down for the next two years) yet a small, perverse part of me loves watching new moms get their butts kicked by a 7 to 8 pound little baby. Especially ones who in the pre-birth interview part say ridiculous things like, We're really ready and Things will calm down after the baby is born.

This show had a very nice, non annoying mom on and they of course were up about three times during the night (and it's so cute how the dads get up, too, the first few nights) and the baby got up at like 6am the next morning and the mom is feeding her and she says I'm really just exhausted and you can just see on her face the crushing realization that she will never sleep in again. And I just felt so bad for her. And for me. Because isn't sleeping in at late as you want such a luxury?

And then I realized: Hey! I haven't slept in for the last six and a half years! I've got all that time under my belt! I am a mere 8 years away from having to pry my two angels out of bed on the weekends. Heck, I'm almost halfway there!

And you know what?? It's not so bad.
You just kinda get used to it.

Life is good. Kids are great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I ALWAYS say, Kids'll KILL 'ya but there is absolutely NOTHING in life more wonderful!!! Yes, your sleepless little girls will someday have to be dragged out of bed to function as surly teenagers. Ain't it grand? Love, Mommy

Winterhoff Family said...

This blog post hits especially close to home right now, as a new parent who is surviving on very little sleep!! You put it in such perspective- Hilarious! Love, Carrie

Anonymous said...

Far be it from me to tell you that by the time your kids get old enough to WANT to sleep in, you'll be so old you're up with the roosters! Thanks for bringing back precious memories and feelings.....and we're GLAD Jenna can see! Love, LW