Thursday, December 6, 2007

Jenna-isms

Jenna's vocabulary and sheer number of words spoken has exploded in the last week, to the point when one night last week, Dan said to me,"Is she ever going to stop?" She's talking to us or to Michaela or to the cat or is singing (News Flash: the Polar Express soundtrack is the new CD of the month... Jenna loves the main theme song "Po-yer Espesss" while Michaela is a bigger fan of "Hot Chocolate": Here we only have one rule/ never, ever let it cool/ get it stirring in the pot/ Now you've got/Hot cho-co-late!... but called the song "Coffee" for the first week we listened to it.).
With all this new talking comes lots of cute things, and while nothing really is as boring as listen to someone who thinks their child said something precious, JUST PRECIOUS, this is my blog and I assume you're reading it because you actually want to hear the cute things she said.

Quick typing break here while Jenna pretends to paint my fingernails.
And puts on eyeshadow. And yo-tion (lotion).

Anyway, on Tuesday we were at the Y for M's swimming lesson. On the way out, Jenna wanted to hide in one of the lockers. As she crawled in, she was pulling the door closed and told us, "I need pivaty!" (Privacy! I would have liked some privacy for my boobs the last two years, too, but it wasn't in the cards.)
Later that day, she came to me at 9:30pm and asked for some iced tea. "I berry, berry tirsty! I need a dink!" she proclaimed. The same night she told me she was "berry told" (cold) and wanted a blanket:"Brrr! I told!"and shivered her tiny shoulders. When handing me a stuffed bunny of Michaela's, she told me to be "berry, berry careful wi' it and don't dop her." I assured her that I have not dropped either of my children thus far and am a pretty safe caregiver.

We went on a shopping marathon today and Jenna was in rare form. She started the morning by seeing a picture of Michaela as a two year old and insisting on wearing the same dress- a sleeveless sundress, a beautiful dress that I tried all summer to cajole her into wearing but she refused. Today, however, was the day for the dress even though it was only 20 degrees outside. I offered to put the dress over her clothes, but she wanted it to "touch my tummy." I offered to put on her pants and the dress, but that clearly wouldn't work because it wasn't "touching my tushie." Seeing that this was a losing battle and wanting to get the show on the road, I relented and she wore the sundress out to the mall. And she lived.
When it was approaching lunchtime, we offered to go to Pizzeria Uno's at the mall. She said,"Yeah! Pizza Uno's!!" But then changed her mind and said, "No, I want to go to McDonald's." So we went to McDonald's. As we were walking out of McDonald's, Jenna asked, "Where we goin' next?" Home, we told her. "No!", says Jenna."I wanna go to Pizza Uno's now!"
To appease her on the way home, I offered to let her listen on my iPod (My, my, aren't I brave! Have you read the post when she changed the settings so the iPod was all in Chinese characters??) and her little face lit up. She wanted to listen to Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" song (Gonna make me go to rehab/I said no, no, no... real appropriate for the two year old set) so I set it up for her. After she listened for awhile, she said with a huge grin, "I YOVE dat tong on your iPod!"
She cracks me up, my little 21st century sprite. And exhausts me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hearing her talk is SUCH JOY! She is definitely in a growth spurt in so many ways. She is a real two year old and I love it and her more than I can express. You and Danny are doing such an awesome job as parents!!! All your work is worth it!!!!! Mommy