Sunday, December 13, 2009

Good enough.

If I had to name the biggest lesson I have learned in the last two and a half months, it's this: when you have three kids, it doesn't have to be perfect. It just can be good enough.

(And the other lesson is that a glass of wine or a good beer can smooth out lots of edges, but that's another post.)
(Just kidding.)
(Sort of.)

I am not a type A personality by any stretch; I am generally pretty laid back and anxiousness is not in my nature. I spend most of my days talking Dan and Michaela off the ledges of anxiety. Jenna and I are more on the same wavelength, personality-wise; a little more go with the flow; a little more "it's going to be fine". But there are certain details I pay lots of attention to and want to be perfect. The clothes my kids wear. Anything paper- my pictures, invitations, birth announcements, Christmas cards. Party favors for the baptism. Anything that I bake. That kind of stuff.

And in the last two and a half months, some of my personal pet projects have just had to be good enough. Because I simply don't have time to obsess over them anymore. It's hard for me to feel like I'm letting some things go, but it makes everyone-including me- infinitely happier.

So for now, I'm aiming for good enough. I can strive for perfect, but not be upset when something doesn't work out exactly right.

And I'm betting that it bothered NO ONE that the holes I punched on the baptism favor tags were a little off center.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you told me about the "off-center holes" on the baptism favors, I KNEW you were not my daughter by birth!!!! First of all, I would never have attempted those labels and second of all, I would never have noticed the "imperfection." You are too cute! I can totally identify with Dan and Michaela-I have lived their personalities for 62 years and "it ain't pretty" to be anxious but I've made it so far! I marvel at your laid-back nature and wish some of it would rub off on me! Love, Mommie

Anonymous said...

Moms should NEVER let the "perfect" be the enemy of the "good"! Love, LW