Thursday, February 7, 2008

Too much tv, too much time

So the other day while holding Jenna during her nap I was flicking between two shows: the 1949 Little Women movie and VH1's Rock of Love 2 and I giggled to myself. I may have been the ONLY person in America watching both at the same time.

For the uninitiated, Rock of Love is a reality show in which Bret Michaels, former frontman of the 1980's rock band Poison, is looking for love by "dating" a bunch of women who are all living together in the same house. They are mostly strippers. They get drunk, try to make out with Bret, and if he likes them, he gives them a pass at the end of the episode and asks each one- I am not making this up- "Will you stay and continue to rock my world?" (notice the band/music theme going on here?). It's horrifying and addicting and terribly cheesy and represents all that is wrong with pop culture at the same time.
I like to get fashion tips from the girls.

In the same vein, last night I flicked between African American Lives (Henry Louis Gates traces the geneology of famous African Americans with astouding results) and Project Runway, which usually isn't too trashy but last night they were designing outfits for wrestling divas of the WWE. Lots of sequins, lots of gold and silver lame` and lots of spandex.
And lots of fake boobs.
Again, fashion tips were plentiful.

Please, please end the Writers' strike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, you make me laugh, as I sit here drinking my Brett's Brew wondering why, oh why I didn't get a Back Stage Pass this week! LOL!