Saturday, February 9, 2008

Re: Christmas Decorations

MEMO
To: The World
From: Cheryl

It's February 9th.
Take down the Christmas wreaths, trees, bows, yard signs, kissing balls, icicle lights and garland.
It's also time to put away the faded-paint-covered hollow plastic illuminated nativity sets.
The Christmas season will be back in 8 months and you can enjoy it again then.

Thank you for your cooperation.

*******************************
Related story: When I was about 13, my mom made me call our local nursery/greenhouse and ask if they had kissing balls. I was completely mortified just saying the word "balls" to a stranger (now I know that everything at 13 is mortifying). It is a famous story in our family and I bring it up every year as further evidence of my Dickinsonian childhood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Balls balls balls balls! LOL! Cheryl you are just too much! Thank you so much for the open letter to our community...I completely echo those sentiments!

Anonymous said...

Tails-YES, you DID have a childhood right out of Dickens!!!! I wonder what stories Michaela and Jenna will recall about YOU!!!!! I LOVE YOU and your family and your blog! Mommy

Anonymous said...

If you lived in rural South Carolina, you could keep your Christmas decorations up all year! I see them every day- summer, spring, winter, or fall- Yikes!! XOXO, Carrie

Anonymous said...

Cheryl-

Hey there! I like the memo. Since we have had some 70 degree days in Feb., I think everyone here in DC pulled down their outside decor.

I do need to relate that when Dave and I were looking to buy our first house in SF, we were very excited if there were christmas lights up on a house for sale. This may sound sick and cold, but when you are trying t buy your first house in San Francisco, you need to take any advantage you can. If the lights were up in March, chances are they were put up by someone who might have celebrated christmas with their Lord up in heaven instead of here on earth. So, we would ask,"Why is the house on the market?" And, then, "were they able to be at home at the end?" (Relators have to disclose if anyone died on the property.) We were looking in a predominately chinese area. We knew it is very bad Feng Shui to live where someone died. So, if we found a house with christmas lights, we knew that there would be few people bidding against us to get the house.

Are you proud of me? I'm not just stalking your blog. I responded! OK, that's my new thing for today.

Love to you all,
Aunt Heather:)