Thursday, September 6, 2007

Michaela's first day of first grade

Michaela's first day of school was a success! We had a feeling all would go well after attending the orientation yesterday and toatlly falling in love with her teacher. Mrs. Ferrentino is very experienced and sweet, kind, and gentle, and instantly engaged with her students. Michaela and I went in to get her desk (a real desk!) set up, bring in her 18 supplies, and generally get aquainted with the room. She has a few familiar faces in her class, including her friend John from down the street. The ironic story of the day was when we were walking down to school, Michaela said, "I hope Connor isn't in my class!" because she had not liked him in kindergarden. And whose smiling face do we see as soon as we walk into the classroom? Connor's!
After the successful orientation, her jitters were a bit calmed and we got ready in a timely fashion this morning (a miracle in itself). Dan went in late to work so he could see her get on the bus (or as Jenna calls it, "the busssh"). She climbed up the steps with confidence and we were happy to see our baby girl officially become an elementary school student!
The bus brought her back at about 3:45pm and she was not as tired as I thought she'd be and in good spirits. Though she doesn't like to share too much info, this is the basic run down: school was fine; recess was fun; gym was fine; we played outside and learned rules of how to play nicely in gym; my lunch was okay; I saw some of my friends from last year at recess; a boy spoke meanly at me when we were lined up and I told him to stop but he didn't so I told the teacher and he had to go to the back of the line.
Hooray for successful first days! In related news, Jenna starts preschool in roughly 365 days from today. Not that I'm counting.

No comments: