Thursday, November 5, 2009

Out and about with Cheryl.

I know, I know... it's been too long since the last out and about post. Trust me- it's not because I'm not out and about. I am dragging my tushie and my three children all over creation lately- doctor appointments (three of them!), the mall, groceries, outlet shopping, the post office, and of course, Walmart. And that's just this week.

So yesterday I'm waiting in line to buy a tub of formula before my $5 off coupon expires at Walmart, and I notice the people ahead of me in line. They are two men, fairly flamboyantly gay (not that there's anything wrong with that... I'm just trying to give you the entire visual) who are stocking up on groceries. The checkout girl is a young Latina named Eve, who is fairly dripping with fake gold jewelry and is really quite pleasant. As Eve is trying to bag the couple's last 10 or 20 items, one of the guys says to her, "You know, these plastic bags all end up in the OCEAN. YOUR GRANDCHILDREN will have to figure out what to do with all of them."

Eve just kind of umm-hmmms him.

"I saw it on the news... it's the size of TEXAS- TWICE!!! and YOUR GRANDCHILDREN will have to fix it!"

And God bless Eve. She took it really well, stayed pleasant and didn't say something like this:

"You know what, Mister? I'm just a girl making a few bucks an hour here, trying to feed myself and my kid. I hardly think that I or MY GRANDCHILDREN will have to solve the entire WORLD'S environmental problems. Maybe if YOU had brought some canvas bags to pack your food into, MY GRANDCHILDREN would have a few less bags to pick up in the ocean. So lay off."

Because that's what I felt like saying.

No comments: