Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Favorite-est Holiday of All.

Thanksgiving!  Love it. Love everything about it. Love it, love it, love it.

A new tradition was started last year (and don't be fooled about what a big deal it is to mess with my fave holiday) when Dan ran in our town's Turkey Trot 5K.  This year he convinced Michaela to join him.  Because she is 12, adorable and in good shape, her entire preparation consisted on running a mile on our treadmill the day before.  I love that kid.  I, on the other hand, would have had to start training in March.

It was a chilly day, even for late November in the Northeast, and I wasn't sure if she would stick it out.


But she did! And she did really well.  I think her time was roughly 35 minutes.  We were really proud of her.
After the run, we ate cinnamon rolls, drank our hot chocolate, watched the parade and opened our presents.


The girls started by opening their matching gifts: gift cards to get Christmas mani/pedis.
It was well recieved by both girls.




Then it time for Alec to open his. I got for him the DVD of Monster's University, which he had seen over the summer and instantly became obsessed with, talked about all the time, bought all the toys for, etc., etc., etc.  I felt I had a sure winner on my hands. So he starts to open it...


 

 And I swear that the exact moment after this picture was taken, he burst into giant, gasping sobs.

Mommy: Oh my goodness, what's the matter? Are you hurt?
Alec: No. No! This isn't a present.  This is a MOVIE.
Mommy: I know, but you love this movie!
Alec: BUT  I ALREADY SAW IT!
Mommy: I know... but now you can watch it anytime you'd like!
Alec: I DON'T WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN! I ALREADY SAW IT!
Mommy (incredulous): Really?
Alec: Yes.  I don't want it.

Okey-dokey.  So Mommy was 2 for 3 on the day.  And let me tell you, I thought about this outburst every time I shopped for a Christmas present for Alec.  I was really worried how Christmas morning would be at our house. (It was fine.)

Moving on.... I had promised my mom I would bring dessert and other parts of the Thanksgiving meal, so I was busy the day before getting ready.  Here's a picture of my kitchen, in the thick of things:


And here's the veggie platter I put together thanks to Pinterest for one of the appetizers (sorry it's sideways):


 And then it was time for dinner.  We had a wonderful time, as always, at my mom's table- it was relaxed and happy and full of goodness. This isn't a great picture but I love the feeling it captures:


And here's one a little more posed:


It was a great day, all in all...
a great day to remember all of the ways we have been richly blessed this year.
Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful day! We missed Wa, of course, but KNEW he was with us especially in the stuffing you and Danny made! I am glad Michaela and Danny ran the 5K-what a nice tradition to start! I am proud of them! Love from Gammie